Masters of Science (MS), August 2013 to May 2015
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
Bachelor of Arts (BA), August 2010 to April 2013
Wright State University, Dayton, OH
Literature Major, Women’s Studies Minor
Scholarly Communication Librarian, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, May 2017-Present
Information Literacy Librarian, Davidson College, Davidson, NC, July 2015-May 2017
Information Literacy Graduate Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, June 2014-July 2015
Reference Graduate Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, August 2013-July 2015
User Experience Practicum Student, Pixo, Urbana, IL, August 2014-December 2015
Undergraduate Library English as a Second Language (ESL) Graduate Hourly, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, June-September 2014
Social Science, Health, and Education Library (SSHEL) Graduate Hourly, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, December 2013-May 2014
Information Desk Student Assistant, Wright State University, Dayton, OH, June 2011-April 2013
Instructor, Library Juice Academy, October 2016-Present
Created and taught a six-week introductory course on Open Educational Resources (OER) for librarians and other information professionals
Adjunct Instructor, Indiana University, August-Present
Designed and taught COLL-X 250 (Academic Editing & Publishing) to the undergraduate editorial board for Indiana University’s Journal of Undergraduate Research
Holistic Pre-Major Adviser, Davidson College, Davidson, NC, June 2016-May 2017
Advised ten incoming freshmen on curriculum requirements, career development opportunities, and general campus resources.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Scholarly Communication Open Textbook Design Session Invitee, April 2018
- ATG Media/Charleston Conference Top Up & Comer, November 2017
- OpenCon Invitee and Scholarship Recipient (Open Education Track), November 2016
- Beta Phi Mu Nomination and Induction, November 2015
- Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) Faculty Merit Award, May 2015
- Kathleen Louise Dion Memorial Scholarship Recipient, May 2012
* Crissinger, S. & Evanson, C. (2018). Information privilege outreach for undergraduate students. College and Research Libraries. http://crl.acrl.org/index.php/crl/article/view/16767.
* Crissinger, S. (2015). A critical take on OER practices: Interrogating commercialization, colonialism, and content. In the Library with the Leadpipe. http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2015/a-critical-take-on-oer-practices-interrogating-commercialization-colonialism-and-content/
* Crissinger, S. (2017). Access to research and Sci-Hub: Creating opportunities for campus conversations on open access and ethics. College and Research Libraries News. http://crln.acrl.org/content/78/2/86.full
* Versluis, A. & Crissinger, S. (2018). Making the most of your first professional position: Strategies for success. In M. Hodge (Ed.), The future academic librarian’s toolkit: Finding success on the job hunt and in your first job. Chicago, IL: Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) Press.
* Allen, C., Clinkscales, G., Crissinger, S., Reed, J. & Wright, A. (2018). Interinstitutional collaborations to forge intracampus connections: A case study from the Duke endowment libraries. In J. Lashley, A. Langley, & A. Wesolek (Eds.), OER: A field guide for academic librarians. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University Press.
Hinchliffe, L., Crissinger, S., Hardesty, E., & McCollough, A. (2015, November). Publishing our own work: Contributing to the professional literature through systematizing sharing of library reports. Panel presented at the annual Charleston Library Conference, Charleston, SC. doi:10.5703/1288284316317
- + Hare, S. (2018, March 21). Advocating for open peer review in LIS. The Librarian Parlor. https://libparlor.com/2018/03/21/advocating-for-open-peer-review-in-lis/
- Hare, S. (2018). Up and Comers award recipients, Part III. ATG the Podcast. http://atgthepodcast.libsyn.com/podcast/atgthepodcast-052-up-and-comers-award-recipients-part-3
- Hare, S. (2017). ATG profiles encouraged. Against the Grain, 29(6), 83.
- Litwin, R. (2017, October 21). Interview with Sarah Hare. Library Juice Academy. http://libraryjuiceacademy.com/news/?p=807
- Crissinger, S. (2017, April 24). A future focused on the human core of open: Imagining a more inclusive 2036. FutuOER. https://www.futuoer.org/a-future-focused-on-the-human-core-of-open-imagining-a-more-inclusive-2036/
- + Crissinger, S. (2014, 9 Apr). Spring break service: Using students today to create leaders forever. Service Learning Librarian. http://www.libraries.wright.edu/servicelearning/2014/04/09/spring-break-service-using-students-today-to-create-leaders-forever/
- Crissinger, S. (2014). Remembering research: Becoming a librarian and a scholar. GSLIS InfoBlitz, 1. http://publish.illinois.edu/gslisinfoblitz/2014/05/08/remembering-research-becoming-a-librarian-and-a-scholar/
Blogger, ACRLog, November 2014-August 2016. Selected posts:
- Crissinger, S. (2016, June 28). The time is now: Scholarly communication and undergraduates. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2016/06/28/scholcomm-undergrads/
- Crissinger, S. (2016, April). OER Outreach for Newbies Series: Post 1, 2, and 3.
- Crissinger, S. (2016, Feb 10). Peer mentoring in the profession. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2016/02/10/peer-mentoring-in-the-profession/
- Crissinger, S. (2016, Jan 4). January 2016 collaboration with Hack Library School. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2016/01/04/hlscollaboration/
- Crissinger, S. (2015, Aug 14). Still lost in the academy: The important of #L1S and other first generation initiatives. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2015/08/10/still-lost-in-the-academy/
- Crissinger, S. (2015, Jan 23). Students taking back the conversation: The 2015 LIS symposium on education. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2015/01/23/students-taking-back-the-conversation-the-2015-lis-symposium-on-education/
- + “OER and Systematic Inequality,” Creative Commons Open Education Week Web-a-Thon, March 2018.
- + “Career Advice for Reference Public Services Assistants,” Indiana University Libraries, March 2018.
- + “Open Access and Indiana University Libraries,” Social Aspects of Information Technology (Z514/764), Indiana University, November 2017.
- + “The Duke Endowment Libraries (TDEL) Stipend Program” (with Andrea Wright), Oberlin Group Open Educational Resource (OER) Forum, March 2017.
- “Information and Open Society: Histories and Futures of Access, Power, and Democracy” (with Thorsten Wetzling and Heinz-Jürgen Bove), Berlin in Translation (HIS 338/ GER 448), Berlin, Germany, March 2017.
- + “Scholarly Communication Librarianship,” Serving Information Needs (LBSC 602), University of Maryland, March 2017.
- + “Open Educational Resources Panel,” Technology for Libraries & Information Centers (LIS 672), University of Hawaii at Manoa, September 2016.
- “Moving from OER Use to Open Pedagogy,” Information Services Instruction Support (ISIS) Professional Development Group, September 2015.
- + “Tips for New GSLIS Students Panel,” The Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2015.
- + “Open Educational Resources (OER) in an International Context” (with Crystal Sheu), International Associates Program, Mortenson Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, June 2015.
- + “OER in Instruction,” Instruction and Assistance Systems (LIS 458), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, April 2015.
- Hare, S., Versluis, A., & Rigling, L. (2018, July). The basics and beyond: Developing a critical, community-based approach to open education. Week-long course taught at the annual Force 11 Scholarly Communication Institute, San Diego, CA.
- Hare, S. (2018, May). Publishing literacy in the for-credit classroom: Assessing Indiana University Journal of Undergraduate Research student editors. Panel session presented at the annual Library Publishing Forum, Minneapolis, MN.
- Hare, S., Molls, E., & Polley, T. (2018, May). Taking the leap: Experiences planning and implementing a migration to Open Journal Systems 3. Workshop presented at the annual Library Publishing Forum, Minneapolis, MN.
- Hare, S., Versluis, A., & Rigling, L. (2018, April). Learning objective creation. Session moderated at the Scholarly Communication Open Textbook Design Session, Raleigh, NC.
- Schonfeld, R., Hare, S., & Preston, C. (2018, April). Limitations on access: The independent scholar and lifelong learner. Panel presented at the Spring Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Crissinger, S., Meyer, C., & Walsh, A. (2017, October). Successful approaches to implementing an Open Educational Resource (OER) outreach program. Panel moderated at the Academic Libraries of Indiana Annual Scholarly Communication Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Crissinger, S., et al. (2017, June). OER: Science liaisons strengthening the academy with open resources. Panel moderated at ALA Annual (ACRL Science and Technology Section), Chicago, IL.
- Sullivan, M. & Crissinger, S. (2017, June). Left out of the mix: Digital preservation and Open Educational Resources. Poster presented at ALA Annual, Chicago, IL.
- Crissinger, S., Evanson, C., & Sponsel, J. (2016, June). Fear of fa(i)(l)ling: Abandoning old assessment footholds for new ground. Workshop presented at the bi-annual Library Instruction West Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Stoytcheva, S., & Crissinger, S. (2016, February). Adjusting & advocating: Reflecting on challenges and opportunities for doing critical pedagogy as a new librarian. Roundtable at the Critical Librarianship & Pedagogy Symposium, Tucson, AZ.
- McDowell, K., et al. (2016, January). Valuing student voices: Master’s students’ critical perspectives on LIS education. Panel presented at the annual Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE) Conference, Boston, MA.
- Hinchliffe, L., Crissinger, S., Hardesty, E., & McCollough, A. (2015, November). Publishing our own work: Contributing to the professional literature through systematizing sharing of library reports. Panel presented at the annual Charleston Library Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Crissinger, S. & Sullivan, M. (2015, October). Getting your first LIS job: Tips, tricks, and reflections from recent LIS grads. Workshop presented at the North Carolina Library Association, Greensboro, NC.
- Sullivan, M., et al. (2015, June). What do LIS students really think of their education? Conversation Starter presented at ALA Annual, San Francisco, CA.
- Crissinger, S., Sheu, C., & Hinchliffe, L. (2015, May). Moving beyond consumption: Creating and engaging OER. Workshop presented at the University of Illinois’ Faculty Summer Institute, Urbana, IL.
- S. (2015, March). Reflecting on my practicum: UX and the academic library. Lightening talk presented at the GSLIS Masters Students’ Showcase, Urbana, IL.
- Crissinger, S. (2014, August). Putting it into practice: Service learning and the LIS curriculum. Poster presented at the inaugural colloquium on Academic Libraries & Service Learning, Santa Clara, CA.
- Crissinger, S., and Maguire, S. (2014, July). Becoming a safe space: Making your library equitable. Panel presented at the annual Ohio Library Support Staff Institute, Wilmington, OH.
- Crissinger, S. (2014, May). Coloring outside the lines: Empowering graduate students with altmetrics. Poster presented at the annual LOEX conference, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Crissinger, S. (2013, November). Going beyond the classroom: Incorporating information literacy with Jing. Poster presented at the annual Indiana Online Users Group, Indianapolis, IN.
- Martin, P., Crissinger, S., and Britton, C. (2012, October). Get the biggest bang for your buck: Invest in undergraduate student employees. Panel presented at the annual Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO), Wilmington, OH.
Indiana University Libraries (Bloomington) Librarians Support Grant Recipient, January 2018, $700
Grant Co-Author, “Open Educational Resource Pilot,” The Duke Endowment Libraries, 2016-2017, $12,800
- OpenCon ACRL 2019 Planning Committee Member, February 2018-Present
- SPARC Open Education Leadership Program Mentor, January 2018-Present
- ARL Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce Mentor, October 2017-Present
- 2018 Library Publishing Forum Diversity Subcommittee Member, October 2017-Present
- Academic Libraries of Indiana (ALI) Scholarly Communication Conference Planning Group Member, May-Present
- OER Course Marking Toolkit Invited Peer Reviewer, April 2018
- Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication (JLSC) Peer Reviewer, January 2016-Present
- Critical Libraries Twitter Chat on Critical OER Practices Co-Moderator, October 2017
- Oberlin Group Open Educational Resource (OER) Forum Planning Group Member, January-May 2017
- Partnership for Liberal Arts Collaboration and Exploration Programming Committee Member, July 2015-July 2016
- ACRLog First Year Academic Blogger Selection Team Member, September 2015
- Symposium on LIS Education Planning Group Member, October 2014-April 2015
- University of Illinois’ Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Co-Chair, August 2013-May 2014
- Collection Managers Group Member, October 2017-Present
- Administrative Advisory Group (AAG) Executive Committee Member, June 2016-May 2017
- First Scholars (First Generation) Orientation Panelist, August 2015 & August 2016
- Collection Development Librarian Search Committee Member, February-May 2016
ADDITIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- The Open Researcher: Increasing the Impact and Visibility of Your Work Workshop (with Richard Higgins)
- Open Access Publishing Innovations, Digital Library Brown Bag (with Jamie Wittenberg, Richard Higgins, and Michael Regoli)
- What Does Google Tell the World about You? Workshop (with Meggan Press)
- Predatory Publishers, Open Scholarship, and Your Research Workshop (with Jenny Hoops)
- Ethics in Information Access Panel (with Cara Evanson and Kevin Smith)
- Why You Won’t Have JSTOR When You Graduate and What You Can Do About It, Senior Summit Workshop (with Cara Evanson)
- Considerations for Students as Creators, Experimenting as Teachers Workshop
- Access to Research, Sci-Hub, and the Honor Code: Ethical Dilemmas Panel
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- How to Prepare for a Poster Presentation Workshop
- Literature Review Demystified Workshop
- Understanding Impact Factor and Other Bibliometrics Workshop
CONTINUING EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- “Write Winning Grant Proposals,” Seminar, Indiana University Office of the Vice Provost for Research, September 2017
- “Copyright for Educators and Librarians,” MOOC, Duke University, Summer 2016
- “Programming in the Humanities (DIG 120),” Audited Course, Davidson College, Spring 2016
- “Design Kit: The Course for Human Centered Design,” MOOC, IDEO, August-October 2015
- “Instructional Design for Digital Learning (EDT 8120),” Instructional Design for Digital Learning Certificate, Wright State University, Fall 2013
- “Making Online Courses Interactive (EDT 8130),” Instructional Design for Digital Learning Certificate, Wright State University, Fall 2013
- Indiana University Librarians Association (InULA)
- Beta Phi Mu Library and Information Science Honor Society (Alpha of Illinois Chapter)