Masters of Science (MS), August 2013 to May 2015
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Magna cum Laude, August 2010 to April 2013
Wright State University, Dayton, OH
English Major, Women’s Studies Minor
Scholarly Communication Librarian, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, May 2017-Present
Information Literacy Librarian, Davidson College, Davidson, NC, July 2015-May 2017
Instructor, Library Juice Academy, October 2016-Present
Created and taught a six-week introductory course on Open Educational Resources (OER) for librarians and other information professionals
Adjunct Instructor, Indiana University, August-Present
Designed and taught COLL-X 250 (Academic Editing & Publishing) to the undergraduate editorial board for Indiana University’s Journal of Undergraduate Research
Holistic Pre-Major Adviser, Davidson College, Davidson, NC, June 2016-May 2017
Advised ten incoming freshmen on curriculum requirements, career development opportunities, and general campus resources.
AWARDS & FELLOWSHIPS
- OER Research Fellow, Open Education Group, 2018-2019
- Association of University Presses and Library Publishing Coalition Cross-Pollination Conference Scholarship Recipient, June 2018
- Scholarly Communication Open Textbook Design Session Invitee, April 2018
- ATG Media/Charleston Conference Top Up & Comer, November 2017
- OpenCon Invitee and Scholarship Recipient (Open Education Track), November 2016
- Beta Phi Mu Nomination and Induction, November 2015
- Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) Faculty Merit Award, May 2015
- Kathleen Louise Dion Memorial Scholarship Recipient, May 2012
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & RESEARCH
Reed, M., Kirschner, J., Hare, S. (Eds.). (2020). Marking open and affordable courses: Best practices and case studies. Arlington, TX: Mavs Open Press. Forthcoming.
Hare, S. & Versluis, A. (2019). Making the most of your first professional position: Strategies for success. In M. Hodge (Ed.), The future academic librarian’s toolkit: Finding success on the job hunt and in your first job. Chicago, IL: Academic and Research Libraries (ACRL) Press.
Hare, S., Wright, A., Allen, C., Clinkscales, G. & Reed, J. (2018). Interinstitutional collaborations to forge intracampus connections: A case study from the Duke endowment libraries. In J. Lashley, A. Langley, & A. Wesolek (Eds.), OER: A field guide for academic librarians. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University Press.
Hare, S. Library publishers as educators: Crafting curriculum for undergraduate research journals. (2019). Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, 7(1). http://doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.2296
Li, Y., Lippincott, S., Hare, S., Wittenberg, J., Preate, S., Page, A., & Guiod, S. (2018). The library press partnership: An overview and two case studies. Library Trends, 67(2), 319-334. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/715065
Hare, S. & Evanson, C. (2018). Information privilege outreach for undergraduate students. College and Research Libraries, 79(6), 726-736. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.79.6.726
Crissinger, S. (2015). A critical take on OER practices: Interrogating commercialization, colonialism, and content. In the Library with the Leadpipe.
Hoops, J. & Hare, S. (2019). Library publisher resources: Making publishing approachable, sustainable, and values-driven. College & Research Libraries News, 80(2), 74-77. https://doi.org/10.5860/crln.80.2.74
Kaspar, W., Hare, S., Evanson, C., Ford, E., & Budd, J. (2018). Considering developmental peer review. College and Research Libraries, 79(6), 718-725. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.79.6.718
Hare, S. (2018). Open education week 2018 at Indiana University Bloomington. InULA Notes: Indiana University Librarians Association.
Crissinger, S. (2017). Access to research and Sci-Hub: Creating opportunities for campus conversations on open access and ethics. College and Research Libraries News, 78(2), 86-95. https://doi.org/10.5860/crln.78.2.9621
Hinchliffe, L., Crissinger, S., Hardesty, E., & McCollough, A. (2015). Publishing our own work: Contributing to the professional literature through systematizing sharing of library reports. Charleston Library Conference Conference Proceedings, Charleston, SC. https://doi.org/10.5703/1288284316317
Additional Selected Writing
Hare, S. & Hoops, J. (2019). Indiana University Bloomington: Educating and onboarding editors with the New Journal Toolkit. Library Publishing Coalition Blog.
Hare, S. (2018, August). Seeing each other: Reflections on library/press cross-pollination. Library Publishing Coalition Blog. https://librarypublishing.org/lpforum18-crosspollination-hare/
Hare, S. (2018, March 21). Advocating for open peer review in LIS. The Librarian Parlor. https://libparlor.com/2018/03/21/advocating-for-open-peer-review-in-lis/ (Invited)
Crissinger, S. (2016, June 28). The time is now: Scholarly communication and undergraduates. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2016/06/28/scholcomm-undergrads/
Crissinger, S. (2016, Jan 4). January 2016 collaboration with Hack Library School. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2016/01/04/hlscollaboration/
Crissinger, S. (2015, Aug 14). Still lost in the academy: The important of #L1S and other first generation initiatives. ACRLog. http://acrlog.org/2015/08/10/still-lost-in-the-academy/
Reed, M., Hare, S., Kirschner, J., Frank, E., & Dai, J. (2019, October). Meta lessons: What OER advocates can learn from collaborative OER creation. Panel session presented at the annual OpenEd Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
Wagstaff, S., Hare, S., Glass, E., & Hyde, Z.W. (2019, October). Open platforms, ethical EdTech, and inclusive ownership. Panel session presented at the annual OpenEd Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
Hoops, J. & Hare, S. (2019, April).Streamlining institutional repository deposit: Results from a pilot CV service. Poster session presented at the bi-annual Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Conference, Cleveland, OH.
Hare, S., Hensley, M., Reed, M., & Makula, A. (2019, April). Working at the intersections of information literacy and scholarly communication: New models for engaging students, faculty, and librarians. Panel session presented at the bi-annual Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Conference, Cleveland, OH. [27% acceptance rate]
Hare, S. (2018, May). Publishing literacy in the for-credit classroom: Assessing Indiana University Journal of Undergraduate Research student editors. Panel session presented at the annual Library Publishing Forum, Minneapolis, MN.
Hare, S., Molls, E., & Polley, T. (2018, May). Taking the leap: Experiences planning and implementing a migration to Open Journal Systems 3. Workshop presented at the annual Library Publishing Forum, Minneapolis, MN.
Schonfeld, R., Hare, S., & Preston, C. (2018, April). Limitations on access: The independent scholar and lifelong learner. Panel presented at the Spring Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) Meeting, San Diego, CA.
Sullivan, M. & Crissinger, S. (2017, June). Left out of the mix: Digital preservation and Open Educational Resources. Poster presented at ALA Annual, Chicago, IL.
Crissinger, S., Evanson, C., & Sponsel, J. (2016, June). Fear of fa(i)(l)ling: Abandoning old assessment footholds for new ground. Workshop presented at the bi-annual Library Instruction West Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
McDowell, K., et al. (2016, January). Valuing student voices: Master’s students’ critical perspectives on LIS education. Panel presented at the annual Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE) Conference, Boston, MA.
Sullivan, M., et al. (2015, June). What do LIS students really think of their education? Conversation Starter presented at ALA Annual, San Francisco, CA.
Hare, S. (2018, September). Open educational resources and libraries: Current trends and future directions. Invited break out session presented at the annual Kentucky Library Association Conference, Louisville, KY.
Hare, S., Versluis, A., & Rigling, L. (2018, April). Design thinking. Session moderated at the Scholarly Communication Open Textbook Design Session, Raleigh, NC.
Hare, S. (2018, March). OER and systematic inequality. Lightening talk presented for the Creative Commons Open Education Week Web-a-Thon, Online.
Crissinger, S., et al. (2017, June). OER: Science liaisons strengthening the academy with open resources. Panel moderated at ALA Annual (ACRL Science and Technology Section), Chicago, IL.
- Indiana University Libraries Information Literacy Course Grant (with Julie Marie Frye and Beth Samuelson), 2018-2019, $1,500
- Indiana University School of Education Teaching with Technology Grant (with Julie Marie Frye and Beth Samuelson), 2018-2019, $3,000
- Indiana University Libraries Librarians Support Grant, January 2018, $700
- The Duke Endowment Libraries Open Educational Resource Pilot (with James Sponsel, Kim Duckett, Jolie Tingen, Andrea Wright, Christy Allen, Julie Reed, & Geneen Clinkscales), 2016-2017, $12,800
National Professional Service
- Board Member (Elected), 2019-2022
Unizin Teaching and Learning Affordable Content Subcommittee
- Committee Member, August 2018-Present
ARL Kaleidoscope Program (Formerly Institute to Recruit a Diverse Workforce)
- Mentor, October 2017-October 2019
Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication (JLSC)
- Peer Reviewer, April 2019
- Peer Reviewer, April 2017
Get the Job: Academic Library Hiring for the New Librarian. Chicago, IL: ACRL Press.
- Substantive Reviewer, January 2019
- Mentor, January 2018-May 2018
2018 Library Publishing Forum Diversity Subcommittee
- Member, October 2017-May 2018
- Invited Peer Reviewer, April 2018
Oberlin Group Open Educational Resource (OER) Forum
- Planning Group Member, January-May 2017
Partnership for Liberal Arts Collaboration and Exploration Programming Committee
- Member, July 2015-July 2016
Symposium on LIS Education Planning Group
- Member, October 2014-April 2015
Academic Libraries of Indiana (ALI)
- Affordable Learning Committee, November 2018-Present
- Scholarly Communication Conference Planning Group Member, May 2017-October 2017
Indiana University Service
Open Educational Resource Committee
- Committee Member, March 2019-present
Indiana University Bloomington Campus Service
Bloomington Faculty Council Benefits Committee
- Committee Member, 2018-2019
Indiana University Libraries Service
Bloomington Library Faculty Council Grants and Leaves Committee
- Interim Chair, April 2019-August 2019
- Committee Member, September 2018-April 2019
Teaching & Training
Introduction to Open Educational Resources (OER), Library Juice Academy, Six Week Asynchronous Course
- June-July 2019
- July-August 2018
- January-February 2018
- April-May 2017
COLL-X 250: Academic Editing & Publishing, Indiana University, One Credit Hour In-Person Course
- Fall 2018
- Fall 2017
- “Scholarly Communication: An Introduction to OA and OER,” Academic Librarianship (IS 567), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, March 2019
- “Open Access and Indiana University Libraries,” Social Aspects of Information Technology (Z514/764), Indiana University, November 2017 & 2018
- “Career Advice for Reference Public Services Assistants,” Indiana University Libraries, March 2018
- “Information and Open Society: Histories and Futures of Access, Power, and Democracy” (with Thorsten Wetzling and Heinz-Jürgen Bove), Berlin in Translation (HIS 338/ GER 448), Berlin, Germany, March 2017
- “Scholarly Communication Librarianship,” Serving Information Needs (LBSC 602), University of Maryland, March 2017
- “Open Educational Resources Panel,” Technology for Libraries & Information Centers (LIS 672), University of Hawaii at Manoa, September 2016
- “Open Educational Resources (OER) in an International Context” (with Crystal Sheu), International Associates Program, Mortenson Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, June 2015
Selected Workshops at Indiana University
- An Introduction to Open Educational Resources and Tips for Finding, Adopting, and Creating OER at IU (with Willa Tavernier), Digital Library Brown Bag, Spring 2019
- Flipped Librarian: Using Open Resources to Maximize Doctoral Learning in Research (with Julie Marie Frye and Beth Samuelson), IU School of Education, February 2019
- STEM Tech2Teach: Have Your Cake and Eat it Too – Tips for Finding Diverse, High-Quality, Affordable Course Material (with Mark Goodner and Amy Minix), Fall 2018
- Starting an Open Access Journal with IU Libraries, Scholars Commons Workshop, Fall 2018
- Open Access Publishing Innovations, Digital Library Brown Bag (with Jamie Wittenberg, Richard Higgins, and Michael Regoli), Fall 2017
- Predatory Publishers, Open Scholarship, and Your Research, Open Access Week Workshop (with Jenny Hoops), Fall 2017
PRESS AND PUBLISHED INTERVIEWS
Up and Comers Award Recipients, Part III. ATG the Podcast.
Interview with Sarah Hare. Library Juice Academy Blog.